Am I Getting Abducted?! Tales From My First Half Marathon In South Korea!

When I signed up to run my first ever Half Marathon, I never imagined I would find myself limping along a motorway outside of Seoul, having ran consistently for 18km, suddenly being shouted at by some strange Korean man telling me to get into his car.

No, that was definitely not how I imagined my first half marathon would go.

Many of you reading this blog will probably get a good laugh out of this post. Many of you know me pretty well, and know I’m not *exactly* the athletic type.

While I’m ashamed to admit it, the type of marathons I’m associated with involve either sitting on the couch and watching 10 episodes of ‘Criminal Minds’ back-to-back or heading out with friends for a marathon drinking session.

Like I said, this is not something I’m proud of but it is the truth!

While living in South Korea for my second year back in 2014, despite not being in the slightest bit religious, I decided it was about time I followed in the footsteps of my Dad and gave up alcohol for lent. How hard could it be to not drink for 40 days and 40 nights?!

Actually, considering I included all the Sundays, it was actually a 46 days…and while the first few weeks were killer it really wasn’t AS hard as I thought it would be overall.

Just don’t EVER make me do another Paddy’s Day sober!

In order to keep myself on track, I signed up to run a Half Marathon in Seoul on March 30th. I’m not entirely sure if I decided to give up alcohol so that I could get fit enough to run the Half Marathon or if I signed up to the Half Marathon to ensure I stayed off alcohol!

Either way, the plan worked.

first 10km group pic

With Aiden, Lauren and Tammy having ran our first 10km race of the year!

After months of training in the gym, and completing a few 10km races with some friends, March 30th was fast approaching  and I was slightly terrified.

I originally thought the cut off time was 3 hours (and while I know that seems like an awful lot of time to established runners, to me it just about made the race seem ‘doable’!) but the week before I was notified that you must finish in under 2 hours and 30 minutes or you will be thrown off the course.

I wasn’t quite sure how they would ‘throw people off the course’ but this scared me none-the-less! 

In the lead up to the race, another hurdle was thrown at me when my training  buddy dropped out as she felt she was unable to complete the race in time.

I started to get cold feet. “Nobody would know I didn’t run it”, I thought.

“Nobody would really care”.

However, at the end of the day, I knew I had put the hard work in, had trained (relatively) hard, and had been off the alcohol and was d=feeling fit and healthy.

If this was ever going to happen, NOW was the time!

My friend Lauren and I stayed in a jimjilbang the night before the race, which meant we ended up getting only a few hours sleep on the hard floor of a Korean sauna which was packed with families, old men who snored all night long, and the annoying buzzing of a Korean TV channel showing the news on repeat.

We woke up early, but not exactly fresh-faced, and headed to the Kintex Stadium in Ilsan where the race was being held. Nerves really started to set in on the walk to the stadium, as we saw all the Koreans kitted out in professional running gear.

Not only were we the only foreigners, but it seemed we were also the only women! We had a sudden moment of panic that maybe it was an all-men’s marathon but worry soon drifted away once we saw an assortment of middle-aged Korean women stretching and preparing for the race.

Besides a scattering of Korean soldiers running as a group, I feel we may have been the youngest runners there. Not that this made me feel much better, in fact, if anything it made me feel worse. People twice my age were going to be running past me and laughing, and there was nothing I could do about it.

peace marathon

The day the race pack arrived…it even had my name on it. There was no turning back now!

For the first 6 or 7km of the race, I stuck with a group of people who were aiming to finish the Marathon in 2 hours and 15 minutes. There was a man with a big balloon attached to his backpack with the time written on it, so presumably, if you stuck at his pace for the entire race you would finish around the 2.15 mark.

Turns out that was over-ambitious on my part and by the 8th kilometre I was running with the 3.30 group, a group that may well have been first-timers.

We were the group at the back, and behind us there was maybe 10-15 stragglers.

Behind them was something that scared us all.

Each time I glanced back, it seemed to be gaining speed. It kept getting closer, hovering over us like some sort of evil villain. It was of course ‘The Timer Bus’.

This wicked bus followed the race and if anyone, anyone at all, falls to the back of the pack and behind the bus…BOOM you get thrown on the bus and are disqualified from the race.

At various stages throughout the race, I came dangerously close to this bus, and every time it crept up behind me I wanted to cry. There was no way I had run this far to drop out and spend the last hour following the rest of the runners on a bus!

I reached the 10km mark in about 1 hour and 5 minutes, and was delighted with this time as it was my fastest 10km to date. I also had a renewed source of energy at the 11km mark, as it meant I was on the home straight. There were 2-3 water stops along the way (not enough in my opinion!!) and 1 food/snack stop. I was so far behind the majority of the runners, however, that by the time I reached the ‘snack stop’ just before the 15km mark, all the food was gone. All that remained was empty cereal bar wrappers and banana peels scattered across the road.

At this stage the creepy bus was coming really close to me, and few of the people I had been running with early on had already been forced off the course and onto the dream-wrecker of a bus.

I tried to push myself, and fasten the pace, but my energy levels were falling rapidly. The internet on my phone had stopped working and the only song that was loaded was The Proclaimers ‘500 Miles’…so that’s pretty much what I listened to on repeat for the last 6 kilometers of the race.

Could have been worse, I guess. 

lauren and i

Lauren and I before the race

By the 18th kilometer I was really struggling, and the bus was ramming right up my behind. At the speed I was going (a slow jog) I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to complete the race in the allotted time.

In fairness, the longest run I had ever done before this was 10km, so to get this far was an achievement in itself.

No matter what, I told myself, even if I have to walk or crawl the last 3km, I will NOT give up! My muscles ached, my stomach rumbled, my face was the colour of a lobster and my ears started to hurt from listening to the same upbeat song on repeat for the past hour!!

And that is the precise moment that some stranger pulled up beside me and started trying to get me into his car! I was towards the back of the group, all us stragglers sticking together, and this guy starts shouting at me in Korean. He was kind of swerving in front of me, determined to get me to stop. I just pretended not to see him, looked dead straight ahead, and kept pushing my body to run.

He would not go away though and soon he started shouting at me in broken English saying,

‘Time’s up. You cannot finish it. Get into this car. Get in’.

Ehhhh not a chance in hell was I getting in that car. I did not run 18km to give up now. He was super persistent though and drove alongside me for the next kilometer shouting intermittently in Korean and English. He finally got the hint that nothing he could say or do would get me into his car and eventually drove off to pester some other runners.

I’m happy to say, despite a wickedly steep hill towards the end, and almost losing my motivation in the final Kilometer, I successfully finished my first Half Marathon in just over 2 hours and 35 minutes and have the medal, certificate and photos to prove it.

half marathon seoul

Tired but happy – first ever Half Marathon completed!

Lesson Learned: Never let anyone stop you from achieving your goals…you have nobody’s expectations to live up to but your own! 

  • Malachi Mata - Living in Korea for
    June 9, 2014 at 1:15 pm

    Good on you for not giving up. Who was the guy in the car anyway? Was he an official of the marathon? If so then what was the bus for? Maybe it was the marathon strangler! Just kidding. Thats funny they have a bus like that. Never knew.

  • fjpeter1961
    June 9, 2014 at 4:56 pm

    An inspiring example of having the integrity to run your own race and not the race of others. Best wishes to you and thanks so much for sharing! Peace.

  • Shelley @Travel-Stained
    June 10, 2014 at 9:46 am

    That Timer Bus sounds like evil incarnate. Congrats for finishing! :)

  • silkpurseproductions
    June 10, 2014 at 5:18 pm

    Yeah! You! And good for you not letting them yank you off so close to reaching your goal. Now you can rest and, dare I say, have a pint.

    • Scott Herder
      June 11, 2014 at 12:55 am

      Fun post, great job, we just signed up for our first half as well. Excited and terrified at the same time!

  • 2014 – Looking Back At The Highs And Lows | Journalist on the run
    January 2, 2015 at 12:54 am

    […] I started the year on a real health buzz, committed to going to the gym 5 days a week, started running 10km races in Korea with friends and even accomplished a big goal of mine which was to run my first half marathon! […]

  • Girls Guide To Seoul: Everything You Need To Know | Journalist on the run
    February 3, 2015 at 9:27 pm

    […] My First Half Marathon in Korea […]