It’s better to look UP than down!

Today was awesome. It made me realise how easy it is to make a big impact by doing something really simple; by looking up! As I only found out about the Global Flash Mob event 3 days ago, happening in 18 cities all over Europe (and perhaps elsewhere), I knew it would be difficult to get a big crowd. However through promotion on couchsurfing and facebook, over 50 people turned up this afternoon for some random improv fun! The vision of the event was ‘Youth Power and Initiative’ and involved everyone looking skyward for 5 minutes. Why? I’m not sure, but I like to think it’s about opening up your horizons, dreaming big and I guess as one passerby remarked today, “It’s better to look up than down!”

At about 1.45 we told the crowd that we were going to disperse and walk down Grafton street, Dublin’s busiest shopping street, and hang out near to Bewleys cafe. Then at exactly 2pm a guy will blow a horn and everyone will look up and freeze. Then after 5 minutes you will hear the horn again and everyone will casually walk away as if nothing happened. I knew it would be a bit of fun but I didn’t realise QUITE how hilarious it was going to be!

With about 50 people looking up at the same spot for 5 minutes, nearly everyone that passed looked up too. People seemed totally baffled as they couldn’t work out what we were looking at. One old lady asked each and every one of us “What are you looking out? What are you doing?” and when the person kept their mouth firmly closed and their eyes to the sky she moved on to the next person then the next eventually I heard her snapping her fingers and saying to the guy behind me “Come on! Snap out of the trance!”

Lots of people stopped right next to me trying to figure out the exact spot I was looking at. In the end all the waitresses from Bewleys cafe couldn’t contain their curiosity, opened the second level doors, walked out onto the balcony and strained their necks sky wards to figure out what we were looking at. At this stage I think it took everyone freezing every last muscle to stop themselves from laughing! Some people found it unnerving as I heard 1 girl remark to her friend, “Everyone is just frozen, what are they LOOKING at? This is freaking me out. Quick, let’s go!” Hilarious! After 5 minutes we heard the horn again and everyone dispersed as if nothing unusual had just occurred.

Ahhh another random day in Dublin.

Flash Mob Dublin Video

• Andreas Moser
    January 15, 2012 at 8:47 pm

But what was the “big impact”?

January 15, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Haha good question! We got hundreds of people passing by to stop what they were doing, take a minute to step away from their busy lives and to look up, and then to think about why everyone was looking up. We made hundreds of people smile and laugh, brightening up their day by just taking 5 minutes out of ours to stand still and LOOK UP! I guess to me, that’s making an impact! :)

• wellsforzoe
    January 15, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Wow.
    Excellent.
    I love it.

January 15, 2012 at 10:50 pm

It was so much fun, random but fun!

• mandy4mck
    January 16, 2012 at 2:57 am

I like the idea of being the catalyst for someone simply taking a moment from their busy day to stop! It’s so perfect and as that passerby says—yes, it really IS better to look up! Love this.

January 16, 2012 at 12:31 pm

haha yea that woman made my day. She was trying to get me to talk, enquiring what i was looking at. Then when I did not answer, instead of being annoyed, she just laughed at the silliness and said, Well I guess it’s better to look up than down! I dont think I’ll ever forget that quote…it so true about being optimistic in life!

• afreysch
    January 16, 2012 at 5:47 am

This is wonderful! I wish I could have been there.

January 16, 2012 at 12:29 pm

You must try it sometime….Im going to plan another one here in Dublin in February…in fact maybe a different flash mob every month to put smiles on peoples faces!

• Carl D'Agostino
    January 17, 2012 at 6:48 pm

You don’t stand there and look up at pigeons. Why? Do it some time and you’ll learn exactly why.

January 19, 2012 at 3:44 pm

That happened to my poor friend in Korea yesterday…it was all over her clothes and hair! haha

• everything but kimchi
    February 4, 2012 at 9:38 am

What a fun idea! That must have felt so good. It’s awesome how refreshing it is to share an experience with people with whom you had nothing in common with until then; let alone make people laugh together!

February 6, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Thanks for your comment, it really was such a fun day! :)

• Russell Smith
    February 12, 2012 at 7:40 pm

People are herd animals. I learned that when I had a job in retail (college years). There would be down-time lasting for hours, then suddenly a mob of people would stomp into the store, demanding service, impatiently waiting in line to have their purchases rung up and then POOF! they’d all be gone and it was back to down time. Down time was spent straightening up shelves and going over the stock in the back. I hated it. Busy time came and went so quickly. I didn’t like chatting with my coworkers. Then suddenly another herd would crowd into the little shop, and I’d be running around on my feet for the next half hour.