Project USA: Finding The Good In America

Project USA: Finding The Good In America

As you might or might not know, I recently landed in the US of A. It’s always been a dream of mine to spend an extended period of time here, to do an epic road trip perhaps and to visit my American cousins who live in Colorado. I was just never sure when it would actually happen.

Over the past few months, the USA has sadly decreased in popularity as a top destination for travellers. I have so many friends who have cancelled trips they were meant to take while others have been unable to travel due to past travel decisions (such as spending prolonged periods of time in countries President Trump does not seem to like!).

For me, I couldn’t think of a better time to visited the United States. I want to find the good in America, and I know I’m going to find it everywhere I go.

After my Cork to Cape Town trip sort of fell apart at the end of last year, I was left feeling a little lost. I had no direction and my travel plans had totally crumbled. I ended up booking a one way flight to Mexico, and while I had a lot of fun there and got to experience new destinations like Cuba, Belize and Mexico, there was no real purpose to my trip. I still have a lot to write about my adventures and there’s no denying it was the most incredible 3 months, but I feel I have very little to show for it.

That’s all about to change. Say hello to “Project USA”. I plan to spend the next 2 months documenting my trip across the United States. I will be uploading a new video for every new destination I visit. That means I could be uploading a new video every second day for 8 weeks. I also plan to keep my blog updated on a much more regular basis (you can hold me to that!) as I take buses, trains, flights and cars across ten different states!

I want to share my travel experiences, stories from locals and hopefully introduce you to some lesser known place in the states that I visit. It’s time to get back off the beaten trail and to discover the places and people that make this country so great. As I discover the United States, I hope to inspire you to do the same.

My mission is to “Find The Good in America” so if you want to meet up and help me along the way, please leave a comment or shoot me a message!

Share:

1. April 13, 2017 / 8:35 pm

So glad to hear you have made it to our corner of the world. We at First Street Garden Inn in Ann Arbor, Michigan, have been following your travels and would love to see you if you make it to our wonderful, big little city. You can find tons of information about Ann Arbor on our pinterestprofile (1stStreetGarden) and also on our YouTube channel playlists (First Street Garden Inn). Ann Arbor has been at the top of many lists of wonderful places to visit or to live so your trip wouldn’t be complete without gracing us with your presence. Let us know if you’re coming to town and we can give you the insider’s tour! firststreetgardeninn.com

2. April 14, 2017 / 1:50 am

You are going to love your overland trip in America. There are so many great places to see and people to meet that you will certainly be left wanting more when your two months are up. I look forward to following along your journey. Speaking of which, what is your rough itinerary for Project USA? Just keep in mind that America is about the same size as Europe, so you will have to budget your visits carefully and be aware of the realities of overland travel in the country whether it be by car, bus or train.

3. April 14, 2017 / 2:56 am

I am excited to see how you plan your 2 months here. I have done several road trips, over about 2 1/2 weeks each time, and usually stay in one town/city for about 2-3 days. It is also tricky with the time zones, too. I know I always forget about the different zones and AZ doesn’t do daylight savings time; another thing to keep in mind.
    I would also like to know your rough itinerary. I hope you enjoy your time here, and the vastly different landscapes.

4. April 14, 2017 / 8:33 am

This is an AWESOME mission, Janet! Can’t wait to keep up with your videos :)

5. April 14, 2017 / 11:04 pm

We are so happy you found our special tropical paradise “Destination Delray Beach” Florida! I hope you find some special moments that will qualify as good for your very cool project! Delray Beach is the most fun town in America! And most visitors simply fall in love with our sociable and friendly town. Go find your fun…. and share with us!

6. Gwen
    April 15, 2017 / 3:58 pm

Great idea! Come to Northern AZ. Prescott is wonderful. Sedona is ethereal, and the Grand Canyon is the Grand Canyon. People are nice too.

• April 15, 2017 / 4:54 pm

I went to Arizona – Peoria, and loved it. Also Grand Canyon.

7. April 15, 2017 / 4:53 pm

I don’t know why people would think that. I was over there for 1½ month in Dec/Jan., and loved every second. Admitedly I had a very special purpose for going and of course my trip was colored by that. But that doesn’t take away from the fact that I met nothing but exstreemely nice and friendly people along the way. Had a wonderful time in Arizona. I also have a lot more to write about that, so make sure to pop by or follow me on FB.

8. Lucy
    April 17, 2017 / 5:54 pm

Best of luck with your planning and travels! The basis of your journey is so positive and inspiring. If you’re in Northern CA during June or early July, I’d be happy to show you around/host an adventure!

9. Cassie
    April 20, 2017 / 3:35 pm

Hello from rural New Hampshire! There are some lovely spots in New England, it’s beautiful this time of year! I’m a bit biased, but Boston is always worth a trip <3